Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Superman bothers me

Superman bothers me. I like nostalgia and old-school when it comes to my entertainment, but after going back and watching the old movies--I had to turn it off half way through the third. I just couldn't take it anymore.


Regarding the movies:
The amount of power that the sun generates per unit area (1350W/m^2), is not sufficient, by any means to justify enough energy to do any one thing that Superman does.
If he has a "more dense" molecular structure, not only would that make flight more difficult than it would be to a normal human being, but it would mean higher oxygen intake needs (or an alternative method for excreting waste)--hence the whole "fly through space" is, again, nonsense.

I'm sorry, but in no universe can a man fly around a planet against its rotation resulting in literally turning back the clock. It would sure mess up the days and seasons, though.

I hate how they just use the phrase, "well, he's superman, he can do anything!" whenever they write themselves into a corner.

He kisses Launa, and she doesn't lose all her memories, like Lois did. Does he secrete a fast-acting neuro-toxin or not?

Exposing him to the "red rays" of his native sun would only have a temporary effect--but some kind of explanation to the audience would be nice (preferably after he regains his powers), but the writers didn't even give that courtesy. It's just, "oh, we need him to have powers again, so he does."

How does the Vulcan satellite travel to a distant galaxy within a few hours, when it took Superman several years of relativistic-governed travel to come to earth from there in the first movie?

That, and I hate his outfit--it's mostly the blue pants and red underwear on the outside. Superman is annoying, and I don't think that exceptionally poor writing should ever constitute a "superhero."

Batman rules! There's a real superhero. If batman were to fight superman--batman would win, because the people who write for him are way more intelligent.

3 comments:

  1. Haha! Points well taken. But I'm curious, what makes Batman a "superhero"? How is he super? He has no super powers, nothing "un-Earthly" about him. Just a rich kid jumping around in a Halloween costume with a dichotomous love/hate relationship over winged bats. (Sorry to all those who love the man.)

    In case you're wondering, Spiderman is my all-time favourite superhero. Once you swallow the radio-active spider genetic mutation story, the rest is just pure kick-butt awesomeness!

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol - "winged bats" should read "winged rats"... doh! There goes my elegant critique! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm laughing so hard! But I totally agree, when I watched the old superman movies, it was more like torture than entertainment. I completely agree that Batman could kick superman's butt. But then I am a die hard Batman fan. I think he's the best Hero because he does everything without superpowers, he's intelligent, thinks outside the box, uses science and technology, to kick his enemies butt. He's someone you could look up to, cause let's face it we're never going to have superpowers but we can help save the world by being smart and making the right choices. Also Superman has come to Batman more than once for help and Batman always saves Superman.

    ReplyDelete

Why I'm (still) a Mormon

I don't expect much more to ever be posted on this blog, and I'm largely just posting this to share it with some particular friends....