Saturday, September 3, 2011

It's a baby (part 2)

This is the first trimester post.

Dani hasn't really been sick--hard to even tell she's pregnant. She'd kept up with jogging and exercising before she was pregnant--so I'm thinking she might stay with that throughout her pregnancy.

I really just want her to succeed--and I know that exercise gets harder and harder as pregnancy develops, so I've decided to dedicate a certain number of funds towards getting an elliptical in our house. I found one on the classifieds that seems to be in good working order, and I think that'll be helpful for both Dani and me.

A third kid is on their way here. I keep coming back to this idea of "equality" among siblings. Quite frankly, I don't think it exists. V excels in areas that N struggles in, and vice verse. I'm also noticing that V wants a whole lot more time with her mommy than N does.

I noticed this one day when I was trying to balance my time evenly between V and N. I wasn't enjoying playing with my kids as much, and N seemed a little disappointed when I gave V a turn. Oddly enough, V didn't seem to really care about how many times I threw her in the air--at least not as much as N did.

So, as a result--I've decided to not bother trying to make my interactions with my kids completely "fair." I'm just going to show them the love and attention that they want as often as I can, and let them worry about equality.

I don't know how that is going to play out with three kids--I know that Dani and I will have less time overall. I'm very worried that V will have a hard time adjusting. V is just such a momma's girl--and she doesn't really like anyone else. I'm worried that she'll get jealous of her baby sibling, and I don't know what I can do about that to fix it now. I'll just try to expressively show my excitement about this new child around V. Maybe she'll share in that excitement? Who knows.

N loves babies, and loves having new friends--and a baby sibling is both to her, so I'm not worried about that.

1 comment:

  1. I like what you say about being fair with children. It isn't about giving them the exact same time/things/whatever, it is about becoming acquainted with their personalities and making providing the love and attention they need as the priority. An easy idea, but hard for some to accept and execute.

    I love this series and can't wait for more.

    ReplyDelete

Why I'm (still) a Mormon

I don't expect much more to ever be posted on this blog, and I'm largely just posting this to share it with some particular friends....